Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gooseberries..



So I have had scarce run ins with gooseberries. I was truly convinced that they are sour and taste funny.

On a whim I tried some that were local and freshly in season. Let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised!


They have lots of little seeds inside, but the sharp taste of these gooseberries was pleasant to me.

I cooked them with some pears and maple syrup, and baked them in a chunk of Camembert with dried cranberries the way my aunt used to...

I actually preferred the gooseberry version even more than I thought, because they had so much flavour and weren't too sweet..

I will be buying more next time I see them at the produce market!

(Unfortunately, there are no photos of the baked cheese: it was consumed with a bottle of wine and a girlfriend or two... actually two bottles of wine and one girlfriend. Still delicious, and more for me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment