Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cirtus Week: Day Four

The Meyer Lemon!

When life throws lemons at you hard, I usually recommend a vodka martini, neat...

However nobody would want to throw a beautiful Meyer Lemon!

Meyer lemons are known for being very sweet, and used to make good ol' Southern lemonaide. The skins aren't bitter either - as far as lemons go. They are a sort of natural cross between a tangerine and a lemon.

I have obviously been on a bit of a Homesteader kick this January, and have decided that the most practical thing to go is make more preserves with them. *of course* everyone sighs.





I wish there was a better way to describe how this Lemon Jam is both sweet and tangy without being bitter or sour like regular marmalade...

There is not much physically different about a Meyer lemon at first glace... the only difference I could determine was the thinner skin they have, and obviously the sweeter taste.

This time, i took about 2/3 of the fruit and cut it with the membranes attached still ( the "inside" skins).  The other third i scraped the peel clean and chopped it, keeping all the remaining pith and skins in the muslin bag... So I would call this lemon shard or lemon jam instead of jelly, because it is definitely cloudy in the jars, but has no butter or egg yolks like lemon curd

However, this extra fruit resulted in glorious, golden lemon jelly that didn't require a single iota of pectin (rejoyce!) and jelled just like storebought!! (double hallelujah!)

I'm not sure if i could emphasize enough the cheerful sunny yellow color of this jelly!! So appealing...

I wish I had made two batches of this instead of two batches of the marmalade! It is truly a unique and delicious flavour! You will have to cajole me to share this treat folks :)

Here is a glimpse at the things I have canned so far this month!

Green Beans, Meyer Lemon, and Seville Oranges!

No comments:

Post a Comment