Monday, January 24, 2011

Citrus Week: Day One



Aaaand I am finally back!

This week I am trying out all of the crazy and lovely citrus fruits that are in season.

The choice of the day is the Mango Orange.

Looks crazy doesn't it?

The coloring on these oranges is beautiful!

And once you get into the eating aspect of things, you notice.....

It doesn't taste like an orange.

IN FACT: It tastes like a Mango!

Now, I actually haven't been able to find out of this is a GMO fruit, or if it is just a "red navel" which is what the internet seems to want me to believe. Regardless, it is pretty amazing once you realize that the orange you are eating is in fact quite sweet and not at all citrus-y!

I suggest you try these if you pass them in the supermarket. Also DELICIOUS and in season (which I always make sure to buy) are CaraCara Oranges. They will make you wonder why the Navel is more popular domesticated orange...

In case you missed the last attempts at citrus foods, click here to read about my kumquat adventures.
This week I also make Seville Orange marmalade, and a few more citruses to be purchased!

No comments:

Post a Comment