Thursday, February 10, 2011

Chayote Squash

Well I wasn't sure what to think.

I acquired this baby in a clearance tray for $1.99 at the produce market, along with a chunk of Taro root and another unidentified squash item.



It looks like a pear that was dropped on it's face as a baby.
It was described to taste like a zucchini.
And is said to be crunchy even after cooking in liquid.

But.. if it's good enough for Bobby Flay...

I chopped this into bite sized pieces, sauteed it in olive oil, salt and pepper. After it had cooked I added white balsamic vinegar and let the stove do it's thing. and do you know what?

It looked like pear, tasted JUST like zuchinni, and had absolutely no spongey texture...

It wasn't bad at ALL. I don't think I would buy it to eat as a side, but I will absolutely adding this to a chilli or stew for some "heartiness"

NOTE: It also has a large flat seed on the inside, but this is edible and tastes very similar to the flesh. unfortunately my camera flash ruined the rest of my chayote photos

No comments:

Post a Comment